Sunday, May 27, 2007

The End of the Beginning--Day 1

Where am I? What am I doing? I'm what? I must be insane. I must be masochistic. Am I both? Am I dreaming this? Am I tripping or am I really about to start this trip? This can't be the beginning. The first day is already here? Should I be doing this? I hope the bikes fall off the rack on the way to Virginia and we can't even start. I'm crazy.
As soon as we arrived in Yorktown, all my fears, worries and anxiety melted away. I'm free now. No job, no money, just me, my bike, and the road. I really thought I wouldn't be excited, but just plain nervous and jumpy, but as soon as we drove into Yorktown and I dipped my tire in the Atlantic, it was nothing but smiles and excitement.We rode 65.26 miles today, I averages 13.6 mph, but that includes the time I wasn't actually pedalling as well. The terrain changed a lot more than I expected in the first 65 miles. It went from very flat, coastal terrain, to densely forrested, then mildly hilly farmland, back to dense forest. It was very nice in the morning but it got pretty hot later on. It seemed like as soon as it got hot we hit wide open, unshaded farmland, or plantations rather. There were lots of plantations and civil-war era farms and battlefields. We also rode through Colonial Williamsburg. That was strange. Do whole families get paid to dress up like they live in the 1700's? Weird...
I felt really strong riding today, but I drank like 3 or 4 liters of water throughout the day, and almost ran out. I shouldn't have to drink that much. So to rehydrate I'm drinking two 24 oz beers instead of more water (that replenishes "electrolytes" or something like that right?) Anyways, I felt good all day, and tonight were sleeping in an air-conditioned church hostel, and life is good. This trip will be amazing...

3 comments:

downtownLB said...

it is really good to see/hear how well you guys are doing. it's too cool that you have sightseeing on the agenda, what a life! btw, beer does not replenish electrolytes, but you already knew that. xo from the browns

Bishop Sensei said...

rich! sorry i didn't give you a more formal goodbye! i'll definitely be keeping up with you, though. you may even run into me in the weeks to come, who knows?

Anonymous said...

RICH! Wilbur told me about your website, and I've read it all. I will definitely be following you along for the summer. I can't believe all the stuff you have on your bike....