Sunday, May 27, 2007

Honeysuckle and Hospitality--Day 2

The first things I noticed on beginning my ride today were the bands of honeysuckle aromas wafting lazily though the air. It reminds me of my childhood and the honeysuckle bush in my back yard. The beauty of Virginia really made itself evident to me today. With bald grassy areas exuding a vibrant green color, and abrupt transitions to old growth forests and slowly moving rivers meandering through the countryside. It really makes you appreciate the rural areas and the slow-paced way of life around here.

For lunch we ate at an incredible BBQ place in Ashland, where Randolph Macon College is. The restaurant had Eastern NC style sauce and sweet tea. I feel like I never left home. The waitress also gave us a ton of ice for our water bottles and camelbak, which came in handy later.

We rode around 65 miles today. The terrain got somewhat hilly towards the end of the ride. I didn't have too much of a problem, but I was definitely huffing and puffing pretty hard at the top of a few hills. The Appalachains are going to be incredibly arduous. I can't wait to challenge myself in Appalachia. I finished stronger today than I did yesterday. I couldn't tell you why. Maybe I ate better, and had enough carb reserves to finish strong. Either way it was encouraging.

I'm actually updating this blog from a small country store owned by an amazingly friendly and hospitable woman with seven children. She moved from NYC four years ago and now lives in the middle of a giant cornfield. It's probably one of the most interesting stores I've ever seen. It's a hybrid of a gas station, a grocery store, and an antiques shop all in one. But it's almost going to close and I should let her close everything down. So for now, have a good Memorial Day weekend, and keep reading...

No comments: