Thursday, June 21, 2007

Crossing the Not-quite-as-mighty-as-I-had-imagined Mississippi



We left Illinois today with a renewed vigor. Jacob had a new bike, mine was adjusted to my body a little better than before, and we were all full of energy from a day's break. It almost felt like our first day of riding again...considering we're now in the traditionally defined "west," as in west of the Mississippi.
The first part of the ride was very pleasant. We rode along a levee for a while. That was gorgeous. We got to see the cornfields from a new perspective (that is, above them, not from eye level.) That was awesome, because the tops of the plants were an incredible golden color that wavered gently with the breeze. We also caw a coal loading station on the river. We crossed the Mississippi in Chester Illinois and went into Missouri. Here come the Ozarks. Not so bad today...but they're going to make themselves present tomorrow.
We rode another 100 mile day...well I think it was actually 98 or so, but I round up when its that close to 100. The terrain definitely got a little more rolly...but nothing unmanageable for me. I forgot how much I missed the short rollers. You can get going really fast on them with minimal effort. There are some parts where you have to get down into the lowest gears and grind it up a hill, but that's not usually more than a 5 minutes at the most of grinding before you get a steep downhill. We spent the night in a city park in Farmington MO. The town isn't remarkable, but it was okay. Their Mexican food was good. Although I like most all Mexican food, so I guess I'm not a very good judge. We spent the night in another city park under a pavilion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Did you get any pictures of the Mississippi?

You didn't tell me that you had a tangle with a tree. Dad told me, and then I saw the pictures on Jacob's blog. I guess that will be your battle scar!

Love, Mom

Wade Stem said...

you should write a book or get on the Letterman show. You can do something with this trip. Take care Wade Sr