Thursday, June 14, 2007

Doesn't Kentucky Make Bourbon or Something?






We left Springfield this morning around 9:30 and got into Bardstown KY and hour or so later. As we rode into town we saw some road signs pointing to some distilleries around the area. SWEET... I love bourbon. In the interest of saving some time and miles, we decided to forgo the Maker's Mark distillery and went to the Heaven Hill distillery. Negative Nancy (Rob) tried to dull my excitement by telling me that Heaven Hill was the lowest tier bourbon on the market and not to be so excited because it will be gross. I told him I was sure they made some nice single-barrels or something, as distillers don't just make rott-gut liquor. Master distillers like to drink the nice stuff too... Boy was I right. Heaven Hill is the home of Elijah Craig, and Evan Williams (who does an incredible single barrel bourbon...award winning actually) As we rolled onto the distillery grounds we were punched directly in the face with strong vanilla and bourbon scents I will never forget. The smell comes from the "angel's share" or the volatile alcohol released from the barrels during the aging process. We went on a guided tour, learned some things about bourbon and the aging process that I never knew, and got to sample the Evan Williams single barrel, which I've had 2 bottles of prior to this...it's good stuff. We also got to try some Elijah Craig 18 year. The Elijah was definitely my favorite. The first bottle of liquor I ever bought when I turned 21 was Elijah Craig, but it was the 12 year. So after that we left town and set out for Munfordville, about 40 or 50 miles away. Tomorrow we're going to Mammoth Caves National Park...the largest cave system in the world...sick! That should be really fun, and I'm really excited about it. It's about 80 total miles off course, but definitely worth the trip.

6 comments:

dcgals said...

We are tracking you. Hope you are having a fun time. The ladies at the Haysi Public Library

Anonymous said...

Hey Rich,

I can't wait to hear about Mammoth Caves. (Hope you got some good pictures.) We went there on a vacation when I was little and I still remember how awesome it was.

It has been cloudy, cool and rainy here today, with a duplicate in store for tomorrow. Hope the weather is better where you are.

Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Gents,

Great to hear how the next few days played out. As I said before you left DanVegas, I look forward to following your progress. Enjoy the bowels...

Nate

Anonymous said...

Hey Rich! We missed your weekly called at the old BFG. Glad to hear your trip is going well!
-Kris

Anonymous said...

Rich.. i can't believe you haven't pussed out yet.. and you got some sweet sweet bourbon too.. congratulations, seems like things are looking up... keep it up.. -bkerr

Anonymous said...

hey rich,
i cant believe how far u guys r cant wait to hear all the stories.

-bub