Monday, June 11, 2007

Strip Mines and Strip Malls




The terrain today hasn't changed much, we still saw many roads carved through sedimentary rocks that crumble a little more every day. We didn't see too many coal trucks today, nor did we see a lot of dogs, but we also skipped part of the "scenic" road for a slightly shorter day as got sort of a late start. It was probably a good decision b/c Jacob got a flat again. He may not have gotten it if we'd stuck to the maps, as there would most likely have been less debris, however we saved some ride time, which is always nice on the bum. We got right outside of Hazard Kentucky and say a giant strip mining operation across the street from a large strip mall rising out of the dust of an older strip-mining operation.(The leftmost part of the bottom picture is supposed to match up with the rightmost part of the top picture...its all one scene)
The strip mine had obviously removed a mountain or two from the landscape. It was a pretty sad thing to see. I guess that's the price we must may for our coal-derived power. I don't think (and I hope I won't) forget that the next time I turn on a light or leave one on unnecessarily.
The ride today wasn't too bad, there were some long, low-grade hills with which to contend, but I got a feel for what I imagine climbing the Rockies will be like. The mountains will soon end, and I believe we art to expect some rolling hills, straighter roads, and farmlands further west. I like the hills, but I'm anxious to see what our average speed will be through the flatter parts, There have been some rolling hill areas through which I have been able, for the most part to average around 18-20 mph. That is fun. Hopefully I'll see some of that tomorrow...

1 comment:

Mom said...

those flowers are cousins to daylilies..Kentucky sounds a little bit like Western Pa, (where Rob's grandparents are) Just as far as all the leftovers from strip mining and hills, hills, hills...